20 April 2008

Ski Day 27: Seriously, Is It February? No? It's April? I Call Shenanigans

Patrol HQ, AKA "The Q". Nice sunny start to the morning...it wouldn't last...

Today was the first day that I've patrolled this season where I needed glove liners and my balaclava. It was that damn cold and windy at The Large Ski Area today. Remember last week, where it was in the 50s at Ski Bowl? Yeah, this was kinda the opposite.

It was 18 degrees when I stepped out of the Sorento near the patrol room. No, that's not a typo.

I got there earlier than I'd expected to, and as a result I got to haul a sled from the clinic to the lift. It's a mostly flat walk, though. I lap-loaded it and dropped it off at the "Q", where I ducked in to get an opening assignment. Today started out with some sun, but the weather was all over the place, with only 2 constants - cold and wind. Visibility and precipitation were ever-changing.

Jeff, just before we dropped into Accordion Bowl. Chattery nostalgic skiing. He didn't like it. I didn't complain. Every ski day after Tax Day is a gift, as far as I'm concerned...

I was supposed to be shadowing, so I did finally link up with co-worker Jeff, who was our hill captain for the day. We did some familiarization runs out in Heather Canyon. The recent snow was all firmly wind-packed, and the areas that were too wind-blown to hold the fresh snow were basically frozen granular - like skiing back home in VT. The stuff in the trees was nice, though, so Jeff took me into the Private Reserve a little later on. You have to know where stuff is, right?

Someone on the patrol said I needed to take more pictures of patrollers doing patrol-y stuff. Here's the best I could do today.

After missing out on several cases because we were too far away, we rounded up to the "Q", and later back to the "Top of the World". I had just arrived up there when a call came in for some more assistance on a case in the Gulch. I went down there, and it turned out we were helping one of our own. I'm not going into specifics, as usual, but we got him loaded into the sled and taken down to the clinic. I found out later that his condition had improved.

Recent avalanche. I'm pretty sure this one was a result of control work. I got to see some of the explosives and chat a little with the Large Ski Area's Snow Safety Guru.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. I got to help with closing Heather Canyon, the reward for which was a trip through Jack's Woods. There was still some nice untracked stuff in there. Sweet.

Powder, you must ski...in the trees...strong with the Force shall you be when you do...

I won't mention about how I missed out on meeting up and making turns with some OEC classmates of mine, since they didn't show up - but they didn't miss much in terms of the skiing. I won't name names. And I'm only giving them a hard time anyway. :) Looks like they went to Timberflats, which I imagine is just as well, given their...um...expectancy?

3 comments:

BJDorr said...

Yoda. I'm sure the skiers will scream like R2D2 and moan like Chewbacca after the fall.

NoPoGirl said...

Yeah, yeah. Don't tell anyone, but we didn't go to Meadows since it was a B Team Day and we were supposed to be there. Oops!

Sorry we missed you!

Ghost Dog said...

NPG: Hehe...Jeff was kinda hoping B-news would show up...