23 February 2008

Waxing Nostalgic

So I was prepping my skis this evening, putting a new coat of wax on them and taking care of a couple edge burrs, when I got to thinking about how vastly different my new Apache Outlaws are from my old KV Comps. I mean, we're talking about a 20 year gap in ski technology here. No deep sidecut. No fat shovel. Bases that aren't black.

In fact, the old KV Comps are white and pink. Yeah, pink. You gotta be a manly man to rock hot pink on your slalom boards. Segmented steel edges, early triaxial kevlar braiding, the works. Right out of the race room. 195cm long. Cost (on pro form): $120. I didn't feel like breaking out the measuring tape, but let's just say the suckers are skinny. They almost look like X/C skis. But talk about quick edge-to-edge. Stiff tails just shoot you out of turns. Unbelievable edge grip on the Standard Eastern Boilerplate we used to race on back home.

I just had to photograph them. Check 'em out, side by side with my Outlaws.

Tail view. Sadly, they're manufactured in China now. At least the company's still based in the USA.

Well it certainly *sounds* cool, doesn't it? Oh, and I wrote "VO's" on them to distinguish them from my older KV Comps that became my training boards when I got these. The major difference was the segmented edges on the VO boards and the stiffer tails.

The new ones look about 1.5x wider. E Aho La'ula.

The old ones, at their widest point, are still a healthy bit narrower than the new ones at their narrowest point.

6 comments:

BJDorr said...

Where were your old skis made?

Ghost Dog said...

Vashon Island, Washington, USA. (note the "Made in USA" on the tail...) :)

Larry said...

We waxed nostalgic a few weeks ago when we threw 6 pairs of ski's in the dump, old Rosi's, Mom's 1970' C4's, ...

Ghost Dog said...

What, Jimmy didn't want the old skis?

BJDorr said...

I miss the good 'ol made in the USA stuff.

Larry said...

RE: Jimmy - nope he has enough old stuff as it is. I took the springs out of the mrr bindings, as well as others, before we tossed them. Didn't want any dump pickers to get old race bindings.

Jim had said you would not get anyone to work on the old skis and adjust the bindings.

I did keep my/your/Jim's old Lange boots as well as goggles, pants, gloves, ... just in case ...