28 February 2008

Terrible Towels At Half-Mast

Legendary Steelers broadcaster Myron Cope died yesterday. I only started listening to him when I found that I could listen to the Steelers game radio broadcasts over the Internet some years back, and the guy always cracked me up. He retired in 2005 after 35 years of calling games, but I still got to hear him from time to time when they'd play Steelers highlight clips/shows on NFL Network or ESPN. He had, shall we say, an interesting voice. And he was quite a character, from the rather peculiar references he made, and the stories I've read and heard from other fans and on TV.

One of my favorites was a sound bite I heard on one of the NFL Network shows they did about Jerome Bettis. Very roughly to the tune of the Macarena, Cope 'sang': "Jer-rome Bettis, Jer-rome Bettis, he surely is the real thing, he ain't no head of lettuce. Yooooi, Jerome Bettis."

And then there's the Towel. I couldn't possibly do it justice here, so go check out the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's article about Myron's creation.

Here's the Super Bowl XL version I have in my cube at work.

Steeler World misses you Myron. Yoi and Double Yoi!

0 comments: