23 October 2007

Well, Here's A Post I Hoped I Wouldn't Have To Dust Off

What a scare. I read about a cyclist from North Portland yesterday, who was killed in a collision with a truck. The only article I saw on it at the time didn't identify the cyclist, and given the age, gender, and location, I hoped like hell it wasn't someone I knew.

It wasn't.

>whew<

But lots of people surely did know him, given the cycling community here in Stumptown.

When I wrote this post, I hoped I wouldn't have to refer to it ever again. The sad truth, despite my hopes, is that people just aren't as focused on the task of driving as they need to be.

And now we're seeing people texting while driving. Ugh.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. And that sucks.

4 comments:

Barkernews said...

Thanks for the concern.

Tragic.

Broken Camera Guy said...

Sad fact of reality when stupidity lives amongst us. Bad drivers. Then today, a bad cyclist who got hit, minor injuries, for going the wrong way on a one-way street and ran a red traffic light. Do people learn anymore? It really sucks, dude.

brando said...

Man. At some point stupidity and negligence become so overwhelming that it could easily be intent.

Broken Camera Guy said...

Intent indeed...

Dude, believe it or not, I was stunned at the number of bicyclists today disobeying the traffic signals along the Springwater Trail. One man just about got plowed over by a group of cars at SE Foster and Springwater when he ran a red light while the cars had the green light. A good dozen or two other cyclists ran red lights also, at SE 82nd and SE 122nd. Many others blew through stop signs.

A sure way to get killed.