27 July 2007

Fireballs 5, The Loaners 8

So much for getting a streak going.

Another late-night game, this time at field 2, saw us in a deep hole early. Without either of our regular pitchers, one of our better athletes was pressed into service. He struggled quite a bit early on just to get the ball over the plate, but when he did, the other team was raking the ball pretty well. Quite a few sharply hit balls to right field, as well as a dinger over the center field fence, put us 6 runs behind rather quickly.

We battled back, however, chipping away at their lead and only allowing 2 more runs the rest of the game. We had some decent hitting, but couldn't string together a good rally for the comeback. We did have a couple guys hit inside-the-park home runs, on some well-hit balls that found gaps in the defense.

For my part, I was 1-for-2, but no runs scored and a baserunning blunder that ended any threat we might have had going in the 3rd inning. I singled sharply to left, but the next batter lined out to the pitcher. I thought he wasn't going to catch it, so I was leaning away from first. He did catch it, of course, and fired to first to double me off.

Personally, I think I got back in time, but the ump called me out. Later in the game, I thought the ump made a couple more calls against us that weren't correct, but they weren't the reason we lost the game. Although one of them - an interference call on our pitcher running to second base - was agreed on by players on both sides that it was a bad call. The shortstop, who was covering the base, dropped the ball and stumbled as our guy was coming into second. I don't know how you can call interference when a defensive player boots the ball, but whatever.

My second at-bat, I just got under one and popped it up for an infield fly. I should have waited for a better pitch, but we were behind and I thought I could put the ball through the hole at short. Just got impatient there.

Defensively, I had a pretty good game. Sharp throws on all the ground balls hit my way, holding the hitters to singles, and I caught all the fly balls that came to me. I only had to run hard for a couple of them, but I got a couple that were inning-ending putouts, which always feels good.

We have a doubleheader next week, due to the scheduling thrash that happened when one of the teams (the one that forfeited to us last week) ended up dropping from the league.

2 comments:

BJDorr said...

It could be worse. How about being the team in Washington state that had to forfeit a win because of a uniform patch was silk-screened, not sewn on?

Ghost Dog said...

Are you kidding? What a silly thing to have a win taken away for.