13 February 2007

Pleased With The Progress, But Also Not

So the workout and pseudo-diet is still pretty much doing the trick. Today, I weighed in at 171, exactly 20lbs lighter than when I started working out. Not too bad for a non-fad-diet type of deal to drop 20 in around 4 months, with the holidays in there, too. Add to that the fact I'm building some muscle as well, so I'd expect I've lost more than 20 lbs of fat. At least, I think that's right. I dunno for sure. Anyway...

I'd chatted with Barkernews after our ski patrol meeting last night about it. It was nice to get a pat on the back from him and the handful of others that noticed I was looking slimmer, but it got me thinking.

Don't get complacent, kid. You aren't done. Just because you feel good and all your pants fit 'round the waist doesn't mean you can relax.

I'm not where I want to be yet. There are goals to meet still. I haven't fully defined them, but today was kind of a wake-up call. I'd been doing standing curls with both arms using a curl bar, starting at 50lbs and doing 10-8-6-6, going up 5lbs with each set. Today, the curl bar was attached to the preacher curl machine and I could barely do 3 sets of 10 at 40lbs on that thing. Yeah. Work to do. Not really as strong as I thought.

I want to be strong enough to lift the heaviest patrol toboggan and hold it at least waist-high if not higher for a good 30 seconds or so. I want to be pushing the entire stack of weights on the leg press at the on-campus fitness center - I think 380lbs. Dunno how realistic that one is, but still...

I've made some changes to the workout, too, and there are numbers to meet there as well. Like I've started doing intervals most of the time when I do my cardio on the elliptical, going faster when the ramp is higher. So I'm burning (according to the machine anyway) over 500 calories instead of barely 400. I'd like to get faster and burn more so my 30 minutes gets more and more productive. I'd like to go longer, but I just don't have the time in the mornings. Maybe I should stop skipping Mondays or Fridays and make that an all-cardio day.

So the weight? Not terribly concerned. I'd like to get to 165, but if I'm lean and 170 or heavier, I can be happy with that. I'd like to fit into 34"-waist pants. That's probably the real measure of success.

Then I gotta stay there. It'd be funny to be able to use the line that guy in the BowFlex commercials used - "I'm in better shape at 42 than I was at 22." And it's possible, perhaps. If I can do more than 70 push-ups in 2 minutes, 80 sit-ups in 2 minutes, and run 2 miles in less than 12m36s, I'll be there.

Okay, not sure about the running part. I hate running.

3 comments:

Ski Patroller StL said...

Congrats...so good to hear your efforts are paying off.

From one that knows the tough slog to get down 10 pounds (now 12), it takes a bunch of perserverence and you're doing it.

Way to go setting new goals...setting them in terms of overall fitness, sled-lifting capabilities and general "how am I feeling" will be a great measure.

go, Go, GO!

Ghost Dog said...

Thanks!

tabitha jane said...

lucky. i want to loose 20 pounds.

way to go you!