13 September 2006

9/11 And Fear-mongering

A recent post by my pal Ryan over at the Circusgeek dojo, coupled with an "Investigative Report" from a recently viewed ABC News podcast, prompted this post.

Okay, so I'm a couple days late. I had considered a "my memories of 9/11 and how it's affected me" post, like many others have no doubt done, but I figured nobody cares what I thought/did/felt 5 years ago. Nobody cares what I thought/did/felt 5 minutes ago. Besides, there's enough of that to go around.

But after watching the podcast version of this report, and having seen Ryan's post yesterday, I have to agree that the media seems to be hunting for ways to scare us. I mean, come on. A) this is not news, really - ammonium nitrate usage in terrorist bombs has been happening for some time. B) Using white, American college kids? Well of course no one batted an eye. They were loading it into a pickup truck, too, at least in the clip I saw. C) Isn't the highest concentration you can get something like 30%? How much of the stuff and how much processing does it really take to make it into a weapon? (No, I didn't do any research, either. But I'm not a journalist.)

I'm not saying we should be complacent. I'm not saying we shouldn't be vigilant. But it's bad enough you can't buy Sudafed without some huge hassle (thanks a heap, meth-heads & government), now people want to put restrictions on buying fertilizer? This is getting nuts. What's next?

I guess I'd rather it be the fertilizer. Nobody ever bombed an embassy with Sudafed. Although if my veggies start costing more, I wouldn't be happy with that, either. Damn, the terrorists have already won.

3 comments:

Barkernews said...

It's because the media's so conservative. They're trying to scare us because they're just puppets of the Bush administration.

Oh, wait, I thought the media was liberal.

Or are they conservative?

I'm so confused.

Maybe they're not either. Hmmm.

There's a novel concept.

Ghost Dog said...

Heh, I wondered what you'd say.

Since you put it that way...I suppose, keeping this in it's proper perspective, that the media is doing less fear-mongering than the ultra-conservative bloggers...

I dunno. I guess I just felt the story was pointless unless they were trying to scare the people who aren't paying attention. Pretty unfair of me to slam "The Media" for one lousy investigative report, I imagine. Oh well.

We should be more afraid of ninjas.

Ryan said...

The thing that really annoys me is that news reporting should be objective and unbiased... but modern U.S. news is corporate, driven by what sells, and trumpets up things that "grab eyeballs" (to use 1999/2000 web company speak). And worse, as some of the heads of big media corporations have pretty well documented political affiliations, it just gets worse. Rather than present the facts (just the facts, ma'am), it tends to be bigger than life, doom and gloom, 'one-side-or-another' leaning opinion pieces.

I just wish that, in the upcoming election year as it is, there wasn't this big "the terrorists are out to get ya'" theme going on. It's really annoying, and to me, it distracts from the real, level-headed discourse that should be going on... not "you're either with us or against us", but "what should happen, and what kind of country do we want to be moving forward?".

-r-