17 July 2006

Beer Fest, Street Fair, And Playing 'Patient' For The Patrol

Well now, it was quite a weekend. Saturday, the missus and I did some things around the house, and did some shopping. Per our plans the night before with Ryan & Kelly, we went and picked Ryan up at his house and headed over to meet Kelly at Amnesia Brewing so we could have a pint, a bite, and head on down Mississippi Avenue to check out the street fair.

Had the ESB over at Amnesia. Pretty good stuff. Too bad they were out of their porter.

We wandered down the street, checking out the various art-y displays and stuff, where we saw this really cool-looking wall-mounted candle holder thingy made of brushed metals that was a crescent moon with a sort of firey-looking decoration behind it. We might have bought it if we'd been carrying any cash and it wasn't so huge. The thing must have been a good 14-16 inches tall. I should have snapped a shot of it on my cam-phone. It looked really cool.

There was a dunk tank for charity, and the one kid I watched throw softballs at the target methodically walked his 3 shots down from about 6" above the target. Third time's a charm, I smiled to myself.

We saw a couple walking around on stilts, just strutting around and getting attention from just about everyone. They seemed to be having fun. Saw a lot of street musicians, too, ranging mostly from folksy to bluesy.


After a while, Ryan and I took off for the Portland International Beerfest. I parallel parked for the first time in years, and did a fine job, if I do say so myself. We had to hit an ATM, so after doing that, we headed for the festival. We got over to the entrance, and saw the sign that said the entry was $20, which included 10 tickets and the "glass". That seemed kinda steep, so we hemmed and hawed over whether or not to go in. Finally, I figured we made the trip, and I blogged that I'd go, so we better. I offered to pay Ryan's way in, as it was my call to continue, but he wouldn't hear of it. So in we go.

I said "glass" earlier in quotes because it was PLASTIC! Bastards! We didn't find out they were plastic until we'd paid. Here's a shot of it. The quality of the shot pretty much reflects the quality of the cup. Lame.


The beers, however, made it worth the trip. Also, Ryan ran into some of his co-workers from SuperSweetCo. Plus, the music was a varied but excellent mix. In no particular order, here are the beers we or I tried:

Deschutes 18th Anniversary Pils
: Ryan snagged this one. I'm not a big Pils fan, but it was tasty, and a good summer beer. Ryan liked it more than I did, I think.

Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti: This is a simply outstanding Imperial Stout. Yummy, creamy, stouty goodness. IMO, this one was the very best of the ones we tried. Great Divide, as I found by perusing their web site makes a brew called 'Samurai', which I am of course very interested to try. Wonder if they have any at John's Marketplace...

Kulmbacher EKU 28: This was insanely sweet. I liked the flavor, but the sweetness was almost too much to handle. I wondered about this beer, so I went to the web page to check it out (hover or click on the beer on the far right, if you follow the link). My German isn't what it was when I was stationed there (which wasn't much anyway), but from what I can tell it sounds like bartenders use it for the basis of certain cocktails. Trippy. Tone down the sugary sweetness a bunch, and you might have a cross between a scotch ale and a dark hefeweizen.

Pelican Brewery's MacPelican Scottish Ale
: I liked this one, pretty smooth, but not as heavy as I like for a Scottish ale. But I'll definitely order it if I find myself out there.

Walking Man Brewery's Blootvoetse Bruin: I couldn't find this on Walking Man's web page. The description in the beerfest's pamphlet was "Hybrid-freak show sour". I didn't find it sour at all. It was a very weird kind of brownish sweet ale. Maybe a barleywine? I dunno. It was okay, I guess.

Freeminer Trafalgar IPA
: A bottle-conditioned IPA from England. I'm not a big fan of IPAs, generally, but this one was pretty good. That probably means you hop-heads out there will think it's not hoppy enough. :-) Had a nice caramel maltyness to it.

Freeminer Waterloo: This was listed in the beerfest pamphlet as a bottle-conditioned red, and it was very very good. Not listed at the web site. At 4.5% ABV, it was the least-alcoholic brew we tried. Seemed rather dark for a red, and kind of reminded me a very tiny bit of Adnams Broadside.

Schneider Aventinus: Pretty good wheaty doppelbock. Kinda sweet, very nice dark brown color. Had kind of a chocolatey hint to it, and was pretty smooth.

Canaster Winter Scotch
: This was the first brew I tried, and probably the second-best behind the Oak-Aged Yeti. Very good strong Scotch ale, just the way I like 'em. Earthy and malty. A bit nutty, too. Yum.

Grotten Brown: A tasty Belgian 'dubbel'. Nice brown coloring, kind of fruity/nutty notes, fairly smooth. Pretty good.

Kasteel Belgian Brown: Holy crap, this is a tremendously heavy and sweet belgian brown. And I mean sweet. Much like that EKU 28 I mentioned above. I liked it better than the EKU 28 and the Blootvoetse Bruin, though.

Here's a funny shirt we saw. The guy was a good sport about letting me take a picture of it.


Ryan tried some other stuff that I either didn't try or forgot about. After that, we met back up with our wives and friend Miranda for a quick dinner, then off to Ryan's friend Tyson's birthday party. He's got a really cool backyard - it's more like a park back there. Hung out a while after the wife left with Kelly to go catch Paul Oakenfold at the Crystal Ballroom (they ended up not even seeing Oakenfold - he was on too late!) and then bailed for home to let the doggies out and get some sleep before my day on the hill Sunday.




At left: Mt Jefferson, from the road up to Timberline.

Sunday was spent up at Timberline playing patient while the 'invert' (they did their sled training first, which is 'inverted' from the normal training progression) group of my OEC classmates went through First Responder Training (FRT) for the Ski Patrol. I didn't have the opportunity to do my sled training first, so I don't get to do FRT until after that.

Anyway, it was good to see some OEC classmates again, so I tried to act it up as realistically as I could for them. My first acting assignment was to be a 10-year-old boy with a severe brachial artery bleed and a boot-top tibial/fibular fracture. We drizzled fake blood on the snow for effect, and I proceeded to ham it up as fellow apprentice and fellow Portland blogger Barkernews came to my 'rescue'. He did a good job patching up my fake bleeding arm, and assessing and tending to my fake broken leg. B-news is going to be a fine patroller, in my unprofessional opinion, as are the lot of the current crop. He got me to break character, however, by opining that I "cuss a lot for a 10-year-old". Overall, the scenario went pretty well, and they got me into the sled all patched and splinted up.

B-news' other half, AKA NoPoGirl, was also up there, relatively fresh off her trip to Costa Rica. Her blog is a great read. I haven't asked any of the others if they blog. I haven't found any other Mt Hood patrollers blogs.

The second scenario, I got to play myself, except with a bleeding and dislocated kneecap. I think I did alright, but one of the trainers was flicking snow at me and making a "crank it up" motion to me to prod me to act like I was in more pain. Having dislocated my right shoulder a bunch of times, I figured I was acting a little less in pain from my "knee injury" than from the shoulder dislocations, which I thought would be pretty accurate, for me anyway. I hammed up the disgusted, angry ex-racer even more by pounding the snow with my ski pole at first, then with my fist. The challenge on this one for the rescuers was the fact that they couldn't straighten my leg out to splint it properly - they had to improvise a splint in the 90-degree-bend position I had it in. The trainers, Tom and Bob, had the rescuers try a couple different methods just to get them to see what might work best.

It's-A-Small-World-Moment: Tom, one of the trainers, went to St. Michael's College in Vermont, not far at all from where I grew up, and actually patrolled up at my home mountain of Smugglers' Notch back around the time I started racing there.

After the scenarios were completed, I got to switch from Patient Mode back into Apprentice Mode and practice some backboarding in the snow. This is quite a change from doing it in the classroom, but the soft snow made some aspects - like freeing straps from under the board, and wedging the board under the patient - a little easier. The challenge is trying to dry out the board just enough to get the tape on there to secure the head properly. My team was challenged a little by having our patient parallel with the fall line, which caused me to suggest moving him perpendicular so we wouldn't have to worry about the board (and patient!) sliding down the mountain. According to our 'patient', we did a great job of rotating him (using longitudinal movements) without twisting, bending, or jostling him. We got him all wrapped up securely, got the seal of approval from one of the trainers, and quickly got him off the board, which had managed to get warped and was pretty uncomfortable.

After all that was done, we packed all the equipment back up and reported back to the top for sweep. We got there a little early, so our trainers let us go take a run so we could get some turns in. The snow was heavy and wet, but wasn't too hard to push around. I had fun making varying radius turns and really getting the skis out there and carving. Felt great.

Finished sweep, chatted a bit with my fellow apprentices and the patrollers, and got out of my sweat-and-snow-soaked ski gear. Hungry and sunburnt (we were on the hill from 8-something to 2-something straight through, and I didn't re-apply sunscreen, like a smart person would have), headed down the mountain and on home. I had money to go lose at my friend Tim's house, playing Texas Hold 'Em.

It was an excellent day. Getting a chance to experience the scenario thing from the patient perspective was actually pretty helpful. My challenge for the day was balancing my acting with trying to think about how I would react and what steps I would take were I in the rescuers' ski/snowboard boots.
My butt and arms and any other body parts that were on the wet snow were getting cold and numb pretty fast, even as warm as it was, so I fully understand the urgency of getting patients assessed, treated, and loaded quickly - not just for the medical reasons (the 'Golden Hour'), but also for patient comfort. A few of the trainees were thoughtful enough to have me sit on a blanket after I complained enough about my rapidly-freezing posterior.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - my CPR card finally came in the mail. Now it's more official.

7 comments:

brett said...

You my friend are a Man among Men!

Great review of the fair and the beerfest. My buddies and I did a brewery crawl on Friday afternoon. In the end, we loved Rogue the best.

brando said...

What a great post. Sounds like you have a pretty good beer scene in your neck of the woods. I love the descriptions.

Barkernews said...

Dude,
You're a great victim!
Now I'm thirsty for beer...

Ghost Dog said...

Dang, you all start with "b" :)

Brett: I'm a huge Rogue fan, too. Pubcrawls around PDX are fun.

Brando: The beer scene out here rules. And thanks. I try.

B-news: I'd say come join me at the beer fest next weekend, but you'll be on the hill being tormented...er, trained while I'm tasting.

Dogex99 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ghost Dog said...

Sorry, Dogex99 - that smacked of advertising, and had nothing to do with the post. While I'm certainly an advocate of canine training, nobody advertises on my blog without permission.

I don't come to your house and put signs on your lawn.

Amanda Griffin said...

Hi. My name is Amanda. I have a blog at: http://streetdogsofcostarica.blogspot.com I am spreading awareness of the seriousness of the situation of street dogs here where I live. Please feel free to comment or write me an e-mail. All the stories are my personal stories, and will be updated regularly.