30 June 2006

Outdoor Emergency Care: Complete!

I remember back in March, when fellow Portland blogger (and eventual classmate) Barkernews blogged about being 'so screwed' regarding taking on the rather sizable challenge of the Outdoor Emergency Care course for the Mt. Hood Ski Patrol. I recall thinking, Here's a guy who's already been through a lot of sled training for the patrol, and he's concerned about the medical part? What did I get myself into?

Well, we both finished tonight. As did the rest of the class that made it this far.

I'm pleased and excited and relieved all at once. I finished my exam and scenarios in pretty good time, and literally could not sit down. I couldn't even relax after finding out I'd only missed 6 of 100 questions on the final. I actually tried to sit down, and could not last 3 minutes. I had to get up and move around, chat with classmates, try to relax and let it settle in that I'd finished. I couldn't even do that until we hit the Corner Saloon afterwards to celebrate. Took a couple glasses of Drop Top to settle me down.

The celebration continues tomorrow night at the Rose & Thistle, at least for me and whomever decides to join. Dual-purpose celebration - my 35th birthday (back on Wed) and completion of OEC.

Next up, more shadowing with the patrol, and observing/playing victim for the Invert class' First Responder Training. After that, more shadowing, lift evac, OEC refresher, then on to the hill/sled training. If all goes according to schedule, I should get my cross in May.

5 comments:

Barkernews said...

Congrats dude!
Welcome to the club.
Now get ready for it to drain your wallet! Well, that's gonna be mostly beer money, so I guess it's preventable.
See you tonight, old man.

Tanya Kristine said...

contratulations!!!

and rmember: don't drink and drive!

Melody said...

Congratulations on the test! Knowing you could have someone's life in your hands is an awesome responsibility!

Jorda is 1 year old today! (or at least we have designated today as her bday, we adopted her and they weren't sure of the actual date.

Aren't dogs cool?

brando said...

Great Job, Ghost Dog.

Ghost Dog said...

Thanks, y'all.

B-news: So glad you came out the other night - thanks!

M: Such a cute puppy! Dogs are cool. We aren't sure of Phoebe's birthday, either. She's a shelter adoption, too. If you search my blog for "Phoebe", you'll see plenty of pics, and of Piper, too.