10 June 2006

My Sam Wyche Moment

"Come on, people. You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Portland."

I'm paraphrasing former Cincy Bengals coach Sam Wyche, who somewhat famously uttered a reminder to his team's home fans that they weren't to act like the unwashed masses that inhabit Cleveland, when they were throwing snowballs at the ref because of a few calls that went against the Bengals.

Hey Ghost Dog - what's with the obscure sports reference? It's not even football season, and well, what the hell does this have to do with anything, anyway?

Good question. I'll tell you.

Fellow local blogger Barkernews, over at Tales from the Tube, had a run-in with some local idiot who saw fit to hurl hot coffee at him as he rode his bicycle to work. I have a tremendous amount of respect for people who cycle to work, as it takes guts to brave the traffic and weather to do that 5 days a week.
I have an equal amount of hatred for people who aren't courteous enough to share the road, and even more of it for those who would actually act against someone who is doing themselves and the environment a favor by leaving their car at home.

I thought we Portlanders were better than that. I thought we weren't the kind of ignorant jagoffs who throw coffee at cyclists. Maybe I'm wrong. I still have some hope that I'm not.

This isn't Cleveland, after all.

3 comments:

brando said...

I had someone spit at me when I was doing a 22 miler after work.

That was nice.

Ghost Dog said...

I haven't ridden in ages. My last real riding was on a borrowed mountain bike in Vermont in 1997.

I don't think I've been on a road bike since I was a teenager.

Barkernews said...

Yo ghost dog!
Thanks for the props.
Yeah, Portland is a LOT better than Cleveland.