20 May 2006

Stella And 1554

Finally tried some Stella Artois this weekend. I don't see what the big deal is. A bunch of people I know have told me it's such a great beer, and after having tried it, I'm just not impressed. There are so many way better local brews. It just seemed very average to me.
One might think that's because I usually drink ambers, browns, porters, scotch ales, and stouts. But I've had some pretty good blondes, pales, hefes, pilseners, etc. They aren't my favorite styles, but I'm not so biased against lighter-colored beers that I can't tell a good one from a bad or average one. At least, I like to tell myself that.

While at Safeway last night, a brew from New Belgium Brewery (makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale, very popular around here - but in my estimation isn't as good as Widmer's Drop Top Amber) caught my eye. It was listed as a 'Brussels Style Black Ale', which sounded intriguing.
It's simply called '1554', after the earliest year the New Belgium guys found a reference to the style. Since it was on sale, I went ahead and grabbed a six-pack of the stuff. This is pretty good stuff. It's a nice strong ale, very dark, fairly full-bodied. Those of you out there who don't really like tasting the roasty-ness of roasted malts can just stop reading and go drink your IPA. This stuff has a very strong roasted malty-ness to it, and you can really taste the chocolate and coffee tones. It finishes pretty clean other than the roasted malt taste. I like the stuff a lot.

4 comments:

Tanya Kristine said...

i like fat tire. i'm not a beer conniseour (sp?) as i usually drink coors light *Gasp* and Budweiser *fan self* but fat tire is all right. eye of the hawk is really good too. and extra alcohol content which is always a plus in my book ; )

1554. i'll try it.

Ghost Dog said...

Have you tried Drop Top? Dog on label = good. Bike on label = trying too hard.

Dang, could I have said "stuff" any more times in that post? Yoi.

Tanya Kristine said...

dog on label VERY good.

bike on label good for boyfriend. especially a gay one like that. heloves those.

Drop Top. tell me it's amber becuase i hate ale-y beer. taste like ear wax.

oh you know you've tried ear wax bymistake. don't lie

Ghost Dog said...

Drop Top is an Amber Ale.

I've had the Bertie Bott's earwax jelly bean. Drop Top isn't anything like that at all.

Who makes Eye of the Hawk?