19 March 2006

Guinness, EPL, Skiing, And The Demise Of TMG


Hell of a weekend, really. It's always a good one when I get to go skiing. Next season should be a lot more full of them.

It all started Friday night. We met up with our pal Ryan at the Rose & Thistle, as planned. We squeezed around a small table that was literally within arm's reach of either the bar or the men's room, depending which side you sat on. Took a little while to get a waitperson's attention, but it wasn't much of a surprise - the place was packed. Good thing Ryan got us the table, or we'd never have sat down the entire evening. I started the evening off with a couple fingers of Glenmorangie to take the edge off the week. A couple pints of Guinness (me) and Boddington's (the missus) later, Ryan's friend showed up. Later, Ryan's bro and bro's wife show up, and later still Ryan's other half finally escaped the obligation that had held her up. We had a great time talking, laughing, and drinking, and enjoyed the whole St. Patrick's day vibe, complete with ridiculous foam hat and bagpipers. Earlier in the evening, there was just one piper who played at the pub, then later another - this one with a wee lass dancing along - and, later in the evening we were treated to a full-on bagpipe experience from the Portland Police Highland Guard. Complete with a small drum corps, they marched into the place, bagpipes in full effect. I'd forgotten how much I actually enjoyed the bagpipes.

Saturday, well...that was recovery. I'd had quite a bit to drink Friday night, but the missus stopped early and switched to pop, so we didn't have to get a cab or anything. I owe her one, for sure. I was only a little hungover, but the missus took good care of me and we spent the middle of the day shopping for books and getting food for the animals. The afternoon was spent watching 3 of the English Premier League games I'd TiVo'd. So relaxing to just veg out, and it's great to be able to have a sport we can watch together, since the missus isn't quite as into football (American, that is) as I am. I think we're quickly becoming fans of Arsenal. We watched two of their matches this weekend, and they really seem to hustle.

Today, it was off to the Ski Bowl for me. The missus isn't skiing this year, as her boots aren't fitting her well and she doesn't think it's worth getting new ones just to ski a few times the rest of the season.
I, on the other hand, am a bit of a ski junkie, so I take whatever chance I can get to go up and make some turns. Turns out it was the right day to go. Beautiful and sunny to start, with a little breeze, it stayed sunny most of the day and the snow was excellent throughout. I started the day off skiing the upper bowl exclusively, and I have to admit I was pretty worn out by the early afternoon. I'm so out of shape. I'm going to have to get my lazy ass in the gym if I'm to survive the sled training for the Ski Patrol next season. My legs aren't as strong as they once were, and I haven't been doing anything except a few of my ankle exercises.
After retiring to the lower bowl and just carving medium radius turns for about 5 runs, I decided I'd had enough and it was time to go home. Seemed wrong to quit at 3, but I'd been skiing solid from 9am with only a half-hour break for lunch. Should have taken a longer lunch and had a beer.

This morning, as I was standing at the top of the ski bowl, and admiring the breathtaking view of Mt. Hood (see photo at top), I started thinking about the blog, and what I would write for TMG, Part III. After thinking about it, I realized that it would probably never 'take off', and that there are more important and interesting things to blog about. Besides, who really wants to read about what another guy stuck in grey-cubicle-land has to say about Mondays, anyway? There are probably plenty of those kinds of blogs out there. Monday's just another day.
Oh well. At least it lasted longer than Emily's Reason's Why Not.

4 comments:

Tanya Kristine said...

i liked your story...sounds like you ahd a good time. and skiing to boot. you're a lucky man GD.

i had a 9 aspirin day saturday. that sucked.

Ghost Dog said...

Thanks, TK. Just 2 Excedrin and some Propel for me on Saturday...and slept in nice and late...

Latigo Flint said...

If Sunday is the Lord's day then you damn well know who owns Monday.

Wretched Mondays. I agree with your decision to ignore them completely.

(Mt. Hood looks glorious. I envy you your trip up there.)

brando said...

That sounds like a heck of a time. I agree with you. Bagpipes are awesome. I got to your blog through the jinxy blog.