14 December 2005

Return Of The Jim

My parental units notified me recently that my twin brother Jim is returning from his tour in Iraq on Friday. I haven't said much about him on here, mostly because he doesn't read my blog, but also because we haven't really been close for some time.

He's been living 'back home' in Vermont since he left active duty, and I've only managed to see him twice since I got out of the Army in 1997 - once was our 52-hour drive from Burlington to Portland, and the other was a few years ago for a friend's wedding in VT. Most of my contact with him has been via e-mail, but many of the messages I sent him went unanswered even before he was deployed. I had to hear about what he was up to via updates from our parents.

I'm proud of him, though. He's a damn fine soldier, best I can tell, and I'm very glad to have him back stateside. Hopefully, he won't have to go back over there.

4 comments:

Mister Jinxy said...

I'm not particularly friendly with my older brother either.

PseudoIntellect said...

I am close to my brother....the little peckerhead...but, nonetheless I am glad he's safely returning.

Ghost Dog said...

I just don't get him sometimes. I get these cryptic responses to my e-mails when I get anything at all.
Or, I get messages forwarded to me by our parents, like Jim doesn't realize he can put my address in the "To:" line also.

But, he's fighting the war on terror, so he gets a pass for the last year. For my part, I didn't send him more than a handful of e-mails and a birthday card, so shame on me. 'Course, it's hard to send him a decent 'care package' when I get a nonsensical reply to my "what do you want" question...

PseudoIntellect said...

Look on the bright side, there is no such thing as a functional family. We all have a mother-in-law who's crazy as a loon, an Uncle Al that stares a little too long, an Aunt Sallie that boozes it up, a brother who doesn't write (that includes me to my siblings), or a child that everyone can't stand and we just deny it....dysfunction junction, what's your junction?

Damn, Schoolhouse Rock...