03 November 2005

Pitfalls of Public Transportation, Part IV

Today's commute home was shaping up to be a pretty good one. My departure from the Confusion Castle coincided with that of fellow blogger Major Clanger, and we'd managed to get decent seats on MAX. Fairly smooth ride today, and as usual, our conversation was enjoyable. I learned about Guy Fawkes Night, which happens to be the same day as my wedding anniversary (5 November).

Anyway, after he debarked, I settled in to enjoy some mayhem, death, and destruction playing Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories on my PSP. Everything was pretty normal.

I call the missus at 102nd, as usual. Made it all the way from Hillsboro without incident.

We pull into the stop at 122nd, and I hear a "bing", like on the Southwest Airlines ads. You are now free to move about the country, I thought to myself, then remembered the "bing" rarely means good news on MAX.

I was right.

Somehow, a pickup truck managed to get on the tracks near 148th. So, we're stuck at 122nd for a while. I try to call the wife, no answer. So I wait.

And wait.

Some 20 minutes pass, and we finally get moving again. As we creep into 148th, the pickup is still there, facing the direction the train is coming from, passenger side wheels still on the tracks side of the apparently-too-small concrete barrier (more like a curb) between the roadway and the tracks. I was surprised they hadn't completely removed the truck from the area, and even more surprised at how close to the train the vehicle was. I was sitting in a window seat and the thing couldn't have been much further than six inches from the train.

Hm. That was kind of boring, wasn't it? Ah well, it's my blog and I'll bore you if I want to.

2 comments:

tabitha jane said...

wow . . . why didn't they just drive it off the tracks? some people . ..

Major Clanger said...

I didn't think it was boring. That is weird, leaving it so close to the tracks.

It just occured to me, that Fawkes is also the name of the pheonix in Harry Potter, presumably a pun on the fact that it is resurrected from a fire.