07 September 2005

Meet Piper!


Meet our new puppy, Piper!

The missus and I have been contemplating getting Phoebe a buddy, since she's so happy around other dogs. What we weren't sure of was what breed and should we buy or adopt another shelter dog.

Well, a recent visit to the Multnomah County Animal Shelter's web page turned up a very beautiful puppy that the shelter had named 'Minni' (a couple of the workers there admitted they didn't like the name), who they said was an Australian Cattle Dog/Whippet mix. We think (as do a couple of the shelter workers) that she has some Pit Bull in her, because she looks a bit like a grayscale version of our Pheebs. I'll try to get a better picture up soon, if the little fireball ever slows down enough for a proper portrait, so you can see what I'm talking about. She's about 6-7 months old, according to the Shelter.

We made a visit to the shelter last week to get a better look, and we were kinda smitten. After the weekend, we decided to adopt her, and the missus chose the name Piper (no, we're not getting a third dog and naming her 'Pru' or 'Paige', much as the missus would probably dig that). Seems to fit her pretty well.

She gets along great with Phoebe, and they're both currently crashed pretty hard, due to all the playing they did today. Here's a brief clip of Phoebe 'defending' her pool from Piper.

UPDATE! Here's the photo from the County Shelter's page:



8 comments:

Mister Jinxy said...

That's fantastic. My wife will be so jealous.

She LOVES Australian Cattle dogs.

Phoebe will be very happy, I'm sure.

It wouldn't be the same for Dip without Piggy around, I know.

Good job.

Latigo Flint said...

Um... ever seen the documentary film titled Pet Cemetery? (Or read the true autobiography on which it was based?)

Actually, at this point perhaps you shouldn't.

Ghost Dog said...

JJJj: Thanks. Yeah, Phoebe seems happy to have a playmate.

Heh! Lookit there - Word Verification starts with "jixy". Interesting...

Latty: Nope, never saw that. I did see Cujo, though, and I still like St. Bernards.

tabitha jane said...

so frickin' cute!

SOLOFLYER said...

Congrats on the new dog, and great that you got it from a shelter. I have never gotten a dog from a store always the pound and have gotten some great dogs from there

Major Clanger said...

Congratulations! Judging by the video, it seems that Pheobe likes her, they are very cute. I'm too scared to click on the county link, I'm sure I'd end up with a dog!

rebecca marie said...

am i the only one hearing mike meyers saying "we have a piper down, i repeat, a piper is down..."

Ghost Dog said...

RM: no, you're not the only one. :)
The first time I said "Piper, down!" to get her to stop jumping on me, I immediately repeated it in the Stuart MacKenzie voice.