03 August 2005

Sometimes You Just Shake Your Head, Smile, And Order Another Beer

Tonight, my father-in-law was in town, so my wife and her sisters decided we should take him out to dinner. The venue: Old Chicago, in Gresham. I like the Turkey Stromboli there, and it's often like a mini-beer-festival for me, because I'm usually inclined to try something I've never had (of course, the more different beers you try at Ol' Chizzle, the better, if you've got a World Beer Tour card). Becky and her sisters like it, and we've met one or both of them there on some 40-odd occasions since it opened (according to our WBT card, anyway).

Tonight, I decided to get the Boulder Beer Company's "Hazed and Infused", which you may remember I had sampled at the Oregon Brewers Festival. Pretty good, but I was in the mood for a brown ale.
Not wanting to just grab a Newcastle - my usual brown - for my second beer, I went with Wolaver's Certified Organic Brown Ale. The beer menu at the O. C. said it was from California, but when they brought out the bottle and a mug, we noticed it was actually from my home state of Vermont. Middlebury, to be precise, a product of the Otter Creek Brewing Company. When I pointed out the error to our waitress, she over-acted the part of the astonished help, even offering to "tell them about it". Okay, whatever. She might have been mocking me, but I was enjoying the beer too much to care.


Imagine that - living in Oregon, ordering a beer that you think is from California, and it turns out not only to be from somewhere totally different (and on the other side of the continent), but from not-so-far from where you grew up. Pretty neat.
Incidentally, some weeks ago, we'd found some pint glasses at Belmont Station that had the Otter Creek logo on them.

After enjoying my first one and
repeatedly checking out the bottle's label, I shook my head, smiled, and ordered another. 'Cause it was good. Really good.

6 comments:

Jen O. said...

If you ever have the chance to check out Yards ales, you won't be disappointed. I enjoyed a couple of Yards IPA while watching the Phillies at my favorite neighborhood bar last night. They're $2 a pint during home games for local teams -- except the Iggles, because the bar would go broke if they made an offer like that.

Ghost Dog said...

Well, they don't have any at Belmont Station, but there are some other places I might check. If I'm ever in the area (right, with all the traveling back east I do - ha!), I'll give it a try.

Tanya Kristine said...

nicely written...GOD i wish i lived there. there is absolutely minimal cool places in sacramento unlike portland area...

you're so friggin lucky...

Steve said...

Last time I was on your coast, about 5 years ago, I was drinking Red Hook ESB and Sierra Nevada.

I'm coming to SF in the Autumn (Fall, to you) so I'll be interested to see how the beer scene has changed.

Thanks for the link, anyway. I've given you one back.

MerchMikey said...

I curse you with envy. Although Dieselboi (Walking Portland), was just out here in Vermont enjoy a Magic Hat No. 9, he commented on the closing and consolidation of many NW breweries. Ahhh to back home in the NW drinking a just cold enough Widmer Hefiwiezen and eating a Reuben at Goose Hollow.
BTW, the state FINALLY has seen fit to repave the stretch of I-89 near Williston. Seems the Brainiacs in charge decided that the last go around ( 2 winters ago) to use experimental pavement. Only in Vermont, only in Vermont.

Ghost Dog said...

MM: Oh man, you had to go and mention the Goose. I'm not much on sauerkraut, so the Hot Turkey sandwich and a Guinness or Mac's Amber is my weapon of choice.