02 August 2005

Comment Spam?!

I think I've fallen victim to Comment Spam! Look at the anonymous comments for the last two posts. I know my blog isn't that good. And WTF is up with the 'news story' in one of them? I deleted them, but here they are:

Anonymous said...
I love your blog! You did an excellent job! My website
is about nintendo revolution cheats if you would like to come and give
me a review!

Anonymous said...
Bail Revoked for Suspect in Student DeathA judge revoked bail for a man accused in the beating death of a University of Illinois-Chicago student, days after his co-defendant failed to show up for a court appearance.

Kim

my site: color hair punk style

Anonymous said...
Awesome Blog! I added you to my bookmarks. My site is on corvettes if you
would like to come and give me a review!



Guess it's time to disallow anonymous comments. Seems silly to require a Blogger account, though. Maybe I'll look into the Haloscan thing, but I don't like pop-up comments.

I think I know what started it, too. I added my blog to Blog Catalog today, and it seemed that right after that, I got hit. Hmm...I hope I'm wrong...

12 comments:

Jen O. said...

Yeah, I got comment-spammed by the corvette guy today, too. He left the exact same message on my blog. Stupid blog spammers.

punkindunkin said...

6 months ago I got comment-spammed by someone who had a blogger identity but no blog listed.

I can't put my email address on my blog as they've sent spam there too.

It's impossible to escape them!

Ghost Dog said...

Have the spammers figured out the whole "username [at] whatever [dot] blah" thing? I hope not...

Hi Jen O., welcome. I got a brief look at your blog. Looks cool.

PD: that's weird. Makes you wary about wanting to broaden your audience.

RT said...

You know, I've seen a lot of complaints about blog spamming lately, but really, I don't have much of a problem with it yet. I've had a few here and there, and I'll either delete them (so my buds aren't bothered by them) or let them be.

Honestly? Most people know spam when they see it. I just figure that unless it's offensive to me personally, or it's totally irrelevant, who am I to deny them the attention they so desperately crave?

Please don't stop the anonymous comments or think of those without a blog as being "less" than reputable. Some of them are really nice people, with really good opinions, they just don't have an interest in identifying themselves...

Anonymous said...

Amazing job on your Blog! I'll definatly be coming back. If interested, my site is on the new PS3.

RT said...

LMAO! Damn site meter...

Jen O. said...

I love that someone comment-spammed the comment-spam comments. Priceless.

"Alice" said...

Hey, I got that spam from your comment #5 on this post from anonymous "ps3" and he said the exact same thing on yours as he did mine. And there I was thinkin' I might be kinda special or something.

Ghost Dog said...

RT, when I first heard of it, I thought the same - I hadn't had much of a problem.

I won't disable anonymous comments until it really becomes a pain to delete the spam. I don't think of the blog-less as disreputable or anything, and it seems silly to require a Blogger account to comment.

Jen O.: I thought that was funny, too. But he'll get the Strong Bad treatment - digga-digga-digga-DELETED!
Was that someone you knew, cellophaned to the bed?

Hi Alice, welcome. Yeah, the first time I saw a comment like that, I thought, Wow, somebody likes my work, then I thought my blog isn't *that* good...

tabitha jane said...

i HATE drive by comments!

i've gotten some pretty strange ones. some didn't even make sense!

it's one thing to read a strangers blog, like it, and comment and another to just randomly find someone's blog and post the same thing you post on all the blogs that they link to so that they find out you are a faker.

"Alice" said...

Do you mind if I link you??

Ghost Dog said...

Not at all, Alice - link away. :) I dropped in on your blog earlier. I like the British-English post. I work with a relocated Brit, who after about 5 years here, is starting to pronounce his "r"s from time to time.