23 July 2005

UPDATED: That's Pretty F'd Up Right There

As a fan of Pittsburgh sports teams, I have the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's web site bookmarked, and periodically scan the local news. I've never been there, so there's no real reason for me to do this...I just do. Probably so I know what the 'Burgh natives at the Nation are talking about when they start discussing local stuff.

Anyway, I found something there today that chaps my hide. Apparently, the PA Lt. Governor 'crashed' a funeral for a fallen local Marine, and handed out her business card, saying something about "our government is against this war".

What. The. Fuck?!

Crashing a funeral is crass enough, but to go pull some shit like that is beyond my comprehension. That'd be like handing out business cards for your auto dealership at the funeral of someone killed in a car accident.

Even if you oppose the war in Iraq, or don't approve of our governments actions abroad, you have to admit that was pretty messed up, and I would hope you're as disgusted with this as I am.

UPDATE: PA Gov. Ed Rendell issued a statement indicating there would be a formal written apology to the family:

Rendell, during an appearance in Pittsburgh on Sunday, said written apologies will be sent to the Goodrich family, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported. Rendell said he hadn't spoken to Knoll about what happened.
Also, the Lt. Gov. who started this mess has apologized:

After setting off a swirl of protest over her appearance at a slain Marine's funeral last week, Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll yesterday apologized profusely for unintentionally causing the Marine's family any additional pain or distress.
Well, pardon me if I don't pat you on the head and say, "It's okay, I forgive you."

Knoll yesterday wrote to Amy Goodrich, widow of Staff Sgt. Joseph Goodrich, saying she was "incredibly upset" after learning through press reports that the Goodrich family was offended by her actions.

"I wanted to assure you once again that my intention was not to add to what must be a tremendously heartbreaking, difficult period," Knoll wrote. "I have attended dozens of funerals to offer my sympathy and condolences to the families of soldiers who have paid the ultimate sacrifice."

Gov. Ed Rendell, during appearances in Pittsburgh yesterday and throughout the weekend, came to Knoll's aid, saying he has confidence in her ability to perform her job.

Knoll said she offered a business card to a Goodrich family member "as a sign of my willingness to help the family through this difficult time in any way I can. To do anything that was deemed insensitive was completely counter to my intent."

Knoll said that Sgt. Goodrich's military service "was beyond the call of duty. If my regard for his family's grief was seen another way, it is thoroughly regrettable. The fact that you have been offended deserves and receives my most profound apology."

If? Did you miss the article in the P-G? Or the probably scores of op-ed pieces or other writings from California, Texas, Utah, and who knows where else? Yeah, she probably did. At least she did apologize...gotta count for something, right...?

Feh.

4 comments:

SOLOFLYER said...

So eloquently put! Good post

Mister Jinxy said...

Stay on top of this one.

She should die.

Mister Jinxy said...

This is funny, too:

Knoll, although active in politics for nearly 35 years, had developed a reputation as an "isolated and eccentric figure" who burns through staff, requires extensive coaching to perform her duties as president of the state Senate and often angers top senators in her own party. In spite of the hiring of a high-priced speech coach to help her break the habit, Knoll has introduced Gov. Ed Rendell at public functions as 1940s gangster movie actor Edward G. Robinson, the Morning Call reports.

Voyager said...

So ridiculous; disturbing in fact. Politicians need to realize that opposition to the war and opposition to the armed forces are two very different things; one is a decision that you are free to make based on what you believe, and the other is just plain treason.

For the record, I'm proud of our boys over there; my brother is one of them!