12 July 2005

Pitfalls of Public Transportation, Part II

Yesterday's commute home was a bit of an adventure. Started out normally, hopping the shuttle from work to the MAX station, then on the train. Start up the tunes, continue reading The Bourne Supremacy, sunglasses on, ignoring everyone...on the surface, anyway. I sat so I could peer over my book and glance around the car, which I did every other page or so, my own little 'extra vigilance' after the London attacks. Nothing would happen to raise my suspicions, thankfully.

We stopped at the Yamhill District stop, as happens normally, but sat there for what seemed like way too long. I pulled my earbuds out of my ears just in time to hear the train operator say something about a delay. Great, I mused to myself. Already running later than I wanted. The operator went on to say that he thought we'd be moving along in a few minutes, so most of us stayed on the train. Minutes later, he comes back on the intercom telling us he's been ordered to have everyone debark and he'd have to take the train back to where he could get it on the westbound track. Apparently, someone had been hit by the train in front of us a few stops up, and they had shut down the lines for the police.

Fantastic, I thought, selfishly, then I hope it wasn't fatal (turned out not to be). Better call the wife. So, I do, and we start talking about how I can either try to catch a bus or she can come downtown to get me. She got a call from her sister while we were talking, so I let her take it while I explored my options a bit more. Lucky for me, the wife called back to tell me the sis-in-law wanted to take us out to dinner (my wife's birthday was the other day, but her sis was out of town), so why not somewhere withing walking distance of my location? Say...the Goose Hollow Inn? Cool, I thought. Gonna be a bit of a jaunt, uphill on a bad ankle, but the Guinness and the hot turkey sandwich would make it worthwhile.

Already a few streets south of where I hopped off MAX, it didn't occur to me I could have gone a few streets the other way and hopped one of the westbound trains. So, I walked. Come to think of it, I should have thought to suggest the Rock Bottom pub & brewery, which was much closer to where I was. Oh well. I like the hot turkey sandwiches (and the potato salad) at 'The Goose' a whole lot, and the music there is often good, as is the waitstaff. I got there well in advance of the missus and her sister, so I sat sipping Guinness and reading. Nice way to unwind, I must say.

4 comments:

Mister Jinxy said...

If I saw you on the Metro wearing sunglasses and reading a book I'd think you were a terrorist.

Ghost Dog said...

Is your line mostly underground, then? Or are the windows very tinted?

rebecca marie said...

hey, thanks for stopping by my blog (by the way, that was specifically a BA Baracus doll, but who's keeping score, right?

also, why do bikers in portland keep flinging themselves at moving vehicles? seems somewhat easy to avoid.

and another also... i tried to like the steelers once. i'm a collge football girl, but i wanted to have a pro team to root for, too, so i picked the steelers at random. problem was, they went to the super bowl that year, so i had to drop them. can't be accused of being a bandwagon fan, after all.

Ghost Dog said...

I like dropping on on fellow Portland bloggers. Thank you for stopping in here. Looks like we chose the same template...

I can't explain the bikers-moving vehicles thing here. I don't know the whole story behind what happened, but you'd think it would be easy to not get hit by MAX.

Nothing saying you couldn't stay on the bandwagon. There's plenty of room. Heck, I'm from Vermont, so there's only one good reason I'm a Steelers fan - I jumped on the bandwagon...in '79. Just never got off. Besides, your would-be accusers wouldn't have had much of a case, if you're talking about '95, since they lost...